There are lots of cheap guesthouses and hotels in Hong Kong located at the Tsim Sha Tsui and Mongkok areas, both of which are very convenient and near the MTR. Many guesthouses and hostels are located in the Mirador Mansion or Chungking Mansion. However, after reading a lot of reviews, negative ones at that (no hot shower, unfriendly staff, cockroaches, smelly beddings, crowded elevator that you must line up for an hour or so, etc), I opted to pay a little more for a better place. Though, I haven’t really tried these places, I’d rather not risk my money.
How to book? It’s very easy. You may book via their website and pay the amount of a 1 night reservation via paypal. Then, they will send you your booking reservation. You may also log in with your account on their website and check the status of your booking anytime. Don’t forget to print your confirmed reservation to show during your immigration check.
Rate: 580 HKD (Php3,480) for 3 pax. In our case, we got a room good for 4 people but only paid 580 HKD. Other details on their rates per room is also available on their website.
- 24-hour hot shower (some hotels have a limited time for its hot shower schedule)
- Good wi-fi connection
- Hot and cold drinking water (outside the room)
- Cable TV (2 for our room)
- Room slippers
- Plastic cups in the bathroom (for brushing)
- Soap and Shampoo
- Aircon and Fan (yes, they have both in the room)
- Tea cups/mugs for coffee/milk
- Extension wires with adapters (HK uses round plugs) – I find it very useful and convenient especially when charging all our gadgets at the same time in the evening.
Location: 5th Floor, Golden Crown Court, 66-70 Nathan Road, TST.
Very convenient. It is just a 2-minute walk from the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR Station, around 10-15 minutes from the Avenue of stars, 10-15 minutes to the China Ferry Terminal going to Macau, and shops are everywhere!
How to get to Golden Crown Guesthouse from the Airport?
In my opinion, the most convenient way is to ride the A21 bus from the airport and use your Octopus card to pay (Cost: 33 HKD). Just follow the signs inside the airport going to the bus terminal and locate A21 going to Tsim Sha Tsui. Don’t worry, it’s really very easy to find. Hongkong is very generous when it comes to signages it’s almost impossible to get lost.
Nathan Road stretches through a lot of streets, just remember to get off the bus at the 13th stop which is very near Golden Crown.
Security: I must say it’s a safe place to stay. There’s a passcode before you can enter your room “compound”, and of course your key to enter your room. The building itself also has a curfew. At 10PM to 7AM, they lock the building’s main gate, but you will be informed of the passcode, ofcourse. It is posted at your room areas so don’t forget to take a photo of that or remember the code.
Staff: Very accommodating, helpful and friendly. They speak English, too, so you won’t really have a hard time transacting business with them.
- Luggage storage
- Discounted tickets for the main attractions such as Disneyland, Ocean Park and The Peak (package: roundtrip ticket for the Tram ride, Sky Terrace and Madam Tussauds Wax Museum)
Which is better, Tsim Sha Tsui or Mongkok?
Both areas are convenient as both are near the MTR but I think there are 2 distinction one may consider.
- Surrounding shops – TST shops are high-end therefore it’s expensive and you can rarely really shop there for souvenirs. While Mongkok has more affordable shops. This is also where the night market is located.
- Location – TST is walking distance to most attractions ESPECIALLY the ferry terminal going to Macau. For me, that’s a big plus.
Would I stay here again on my next visit? DEFINITELY.
For a room and building tour, here’s a complete video! Subscribe, like and share! :)